Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Homer and an intro to Classical Philosophy (my first post)


My name is Estefania Rodriguez, and I will make this the best possible place to document my reactions and reflections on the writings of some of the most influential thinkers in history. This will be my blog for Classical Philosophy, as a companion to the readings for the class. For this week’s authors, Hesiod and Homer, I have only a couple of things to say. The experience I have with Homer and philosophy is in the context of Greek mythology and the teachings they had about morality and philosophy for the Greeks. 
The kinds of teachings that one can get from Homer are those related to loyalty and bravery, seeing as the Greeks have nothing more important to protect than their lineage and their culture. Honor was the highest goal the Greeks can accomplish, and the defense of that was of the utmost importance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment